The suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members will be charged with first-degree murder, U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro said Friday following one of the soldiers’ death.
“There are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree,” Pirro said in an interview on Fox News.
As of Friday morning, no charges had been filed against the suspect in federal court or in D.C. Superior Court, according to court records. Previously, Pirro said the suspect would be charged with three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed and one count of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.
National Guard soldier Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died on Thanksgiving Day; she was one of two National Guard members who were shot on Wednesday near the Farragut Square Metro station in Washington, D.C.

The other guard member, 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, remains hospitalized.
“We still have hope. He’s still in critical condition,” Pirro said in the interview. “We are doing everything we can to assist his family and to make sure that they have everything they need during this difficult time for them.”
Pirro and FBI Director Kash Patel identified the suspect yesterday as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who previously worked with the CIA in Afghanistan. He was shot by another National Guard member.
On Friday, she said the investigation and the execution of search warrants were happening around the clock.
“The individual who did this will pay the ultimate price, according to the Attorney General Pam Bondi, as well he should — once and if a jury returns a verdict that we will be seeking in this case,” Pirro said.